This unique, thematic health unit features time-tested lessons from the American Lung Association’s Clear Decisions tobacco control curriculum, two original plays, and 14 lessons that can be integrated into various classroom subjects.
- Math - The Cost of Smoking in a Lifetime, Graphing and Analysis of Smoking Trends in Clearville, North Carolina
- Social Studies - Testimony for Healthy Lungs, Design Your Own Surgeon General’s Warning Label (could also be an art activity)
- Language Arts - A Letter to the Legislature, Developing an Anti-Tobacco Public Service Announcement
- Science - “To Tell the Truth” About Tobacco Use, Simulated Effects of Emphysema, Simulated Appearance of Smoker’s Lungs, Tobacco and Lungs: Experimenting with Death
- Health - Can One Cigarette Affect Your Health?, Consequences of Smoking; Interdisciplinary/ Developmental Guidance - How to Say No to Others and Mean It, It’s Never Too Late to Quit.
Also incorporates hands-on learning with the BioQuest Simulated Smoker’s Lungs Demonstration Kit (LS03734E) and the Sponge Lungs Demonstration Kit (LF01135E), which are included. The unit can be taught by a health specialist or by a team of teachers in a comprehensive convocation on tobacco issues. Grades 5-9. Copyright 1997.