People can have difficulty breathing for many reasons; these can be universally referred to as breathing emergencies. Breathing emergencies can be caused by choking, a punctured lung, an allergic reaction, exposure to chemicals or other toxins, asthma, and other causes. In this course youï¿½ll learn more about the causes of breathing emergencies, symptoms of breathing emergencies, how to provide first aid, and you'll get guidance on calling for emergency medical assistance.
Based on: Industry Standards and Best Practices
First Aid - Breathing Emergencies - Copyright 2016. Run time: 11 minutes. Test time: 6 minutes. Total time: 17 minutes.
First Aid - Breathing Emergencies - Learning Objectives
- List some causes of breathing emergencies
- List some symptoms of breathing emergencies
- Describe some initial first aid for a breathing emergency
- Explain what the Heimlich maneuver is
- Explain when to perform the Heimlich maneuver
- Describe how to perform the Heimlich maneuver
- Explain when to provide artificial respiration
- Explain how to provide artificial respiration
- Explain when to provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)